Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Number on the Scale Doesn't Matter

Ok, this post is to remind myself of why I stashed away the weighing scale and I haven't stepped on it in about 3 months. I don't know why I thought that digging it out today was going to help me any, but I did and boy, it REALLY didn't help. Why? The numbers hadn't moved. If anything, they were slightly higher than what I'd weighed three months ago.

I'm like, WTF? I'm definitely slimmer, I'm showing more definition. My clothes fit better. I've actually gone down a jeans size. Cheekbones that I haven't seen in a couple of years are playing peekaboo with me in the mirror now. So what gives?

MUSCLE IS DENSER THAN FAT.


So I'm leaning out and putting on more weight in muscle than I'm losing in fat. Which is totally fine! Simply because muscle burns a whole lot more than fat, so overall my metabolism is going up. Apparently, fat percentages are a whole lot more important than the actual number reflected in the scale. Matt, over at ShareItFitness, does a good job of explaining it, so go visit his post.

To convince me further, I googled a bunch of pictures and it made me feel a ton better. 
http://fitchef.tv/why-being-skinny-doesnt-mean-your-fit/
So yeah, the weighing scale is getting banished into the dark dank dusty storage room again. Maybe I'll try again in 2 months time just for the heck of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...